Two cups of coffee can prevent heart attacks
London: Here`s some good news for coffee
buffs -- drinking two cups of the beverage a day can protect
some heart attack victims from complications that may lead to
coronary failure, a new study has claimed.
Researchers have carried out the study and found that
heart attack patients who drank three or more cups of coffee
a day were 90 per cent less likely to develop the condition,
known as left ventricular systolic dysfunction or LVSD.
The study`s recommendation goes against evidence
of people suffering palpitations and irregular heart rhythms
after drinking strong coffee, the `Daily Express` reported.
For their study, the researchers monitored 374
male and female heart attack patients. Those with normal blood
pressure were found to be protected against developing LVSD by
The protective effect, however, was not seen in
patients with high blood pressure, where coffee drinking was
actually associated with a four-fold increase in the
likelihood of developing LVSD.
Lead researcher Dr Christina Chrysohoou of Harokopio
University and Hippokration Hospital in Greece, said: "Coffee
consumption and its effects on the cardiovascular system have
been widely investigated.
"In this work, we revealed that coffee consumption has
opposite effects on the likelihood of developing LVSD after an
acute coronary syndrome episode, depending on hypertension.
"The beneficial effects of coffee can be explained by
the fact that coffee contains chlorogenic acid and antioxidant
compounds that improve vascular function. We can recommend to
our patients after an acute coronary event to consume coffee
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks