Two cups of coffee can prevent heart attacks
London: Here`s some good news for coffee
buffs -- drinking two cups of the beverage a day can protect
some heart attack victims from complications that may lead to
coronary failure, a new study has claimed.
Researchers have carried out the study and found that
heart attack patients who drank three or more cups of coffee
a day were 90 per cent less likely to develop the condition,
known as left ventricular systolic dysfunction or LVSD.
The study`s recommendation goes against evidence
of people suffering palpitations and irregular heart rhythms
after drinking strong coffee, the `Daily Express` reported.
For their study, the researchers monitored 374
male and female heart attack patients. Those with normal blood
pressure were found to be protected against developing LVSD by
The protective effect, however, was not seen in
patients with high blood pressure, where coffee drinking was
actually associated with a four-fold increase in the
likelihood of developing LVSD.
Lead researcher Dr Christina Chrysohoou of Harokopio
University and Hippokration Hospital in Greece, said: "Coffee
consumption and its effects on the cardiovascular system have
been widely investigated.
"In this work, we revealed that coffee consumption has
opposite effects on the likelihood of developing LVSD after an
acute coronary syndrome episode, depending on hypertension.
"The beneficial effects of coffee can be explained by
the fact that coffee contains chlorogenic acid and antioxidant
compounds that improve vascular function. We can recommend to
our patients after an acute coronary event to consume coffee
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof