Unsafe abortions claim lives of 4,500 women per year
New Delhi: As many of 4,500 deaths or eight percent of all maternal deaths occur due to unsafe abortions every year, parliament was told Friday.
As per Registrar General of India`s Sample Registration System (RGI -SRS) survey report (2001-03), 8 percent of maternal deaths in the country are attributed to "abortion" which translates into an absolute number of approximately 4,500 deaths in one year, Minister of State for Health Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury told the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
Under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), a conditional cash transfer scheme to promote institutional delivery with a special focus on below poverty line (BPL) and scheduled caste/scheduled tribal (SC/ST) pregnant women.
The scheme has brought about a significant increase in institutional delivery, added Choudhury.
More than 8.8 lakh ASHAs have been appointed in the villages to facilitate accessing of health care services at institutions, by the community, particularly pregnant women, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days