Unusual genes behind schizophrenia identified
Toronto: Scientists have stumbled upon unusual genetic configurations that explain why more schizophrenic patients tend to have them than normal people.
`De novo` mutations are genetic errors that are present in such patients but not in their parents, or in normal people, according to scientists led by Guy A. Rouleau of the University of Montreal and director of CHU Sainte-Justine Hospital.
Schizophrenia is a major mental disorder characterised by delusions, hallucinations, disturbances in thinking, and deterioration of social behaviours.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says as many as 24 million individuals worldwide suffer from schizophrenia and over half of them are not receiving any treatment.
The discovery may enable researchers to define how the disease results from these mutations and develop new lines of treatment for the condition, reports the journal Nature Genetics.
"The occurrence of de novo mutations, as observed in this study, may in part explain the high worldwide incidence of schizophrenia," says Rouleau, according to a Montreal statement.
"Because the mutations are located in many different genes, we can now start to establish genetic networks that would define how these gene mutations predispose to schizophrenia," adds Simon Girard, the student who performed key experiments on this discovery.
"Most of the genes identified in this study have not been previously linked to schizophrenia, thereby providing new potential therapeutic targets," says Girard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre