Vegetable-derived compound useful for treating triple-negative breast cancer
Washington: Researchers including one of Indian origin have developed a new compound from a rich source in vegetables including broccoli and brussel sprouts to combat triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).
TNBC is one of the most aggressive forms of breast cancer - it grows faster, spreads to other parts of the body earlier, is harder to detect on a mammogram and recurs more often.
Mandip Sachdeva and Chandraiah Godugu from Florida A and M University in collaboration with Stephen Safe from Texas A and M University have evaluated the activity of novel C-substituted diindolylmethane (C-DIM) derivatives and demonstrated that they have superior anticancer activities.
Sachdeva’s study reveals that these synthetic compounds derived from diindolylmethane (DIM), commonly found in various types of cruciferous vegetables, can be used to treat several types of cancer, including triple-negative breast cancer.
C-DIMs are also being investigated for their cancer prevention activity.
“Targeted treatment options for TNBC are limited; current treatments, such as infusions, result in poor patient compliance and increased toxicity,” Sachdeva said.
“We are confident that the compounds we are currently working with are an effective treatment for triple-negative breast cancer. These compounds are safer for the patient than current treatments available,” Sachdeva added.
In contrast to existing anticancer drugs, the diindolylmethane compounds are orally active, so they could be available to patients in pill form and safe to take daily.
When taken in combination with existing anticancer drugs, the diindolylmethane compounds can effectively decrease the number of treatments a patient receives.
The findings of the study will be presented at the 2012 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Annual Meeting and Exposition on Oct. 14 – 18 during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam