Virus mutations that cause HIV-drug resistance
Washington: Scientists have developed a new tool that can help predict the location of virus mutations that lead to HIV-drug resistance.
Protease inhibitor drugs are one of the major weapons in the fight against HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, but their effectiveness is limited as the virus mutates and develops resistance to the drugs over time.
The main reason for the short-term effectiveness of the drug has to do with the evolution of the drug within the body, said the study’s author, Yi Mao, a postdoctoral fellow at the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.
In the study, Mao used a mathematical modelling technique called elastic network modelling to examine the physical properties and interactions of the proteins.
The model reveals where mutations are occurring during the evolution of the HIV-virus proteins and how these mutations help the virus survive.
“With this kind of knowledge, better strategies for designing anti-HIV drugs could be developed,” stated Mao.
The study was published in the journal BMC Structural Biology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'