Vitamin D may cut diabetes risk in obese kids
Washington: Researchers have found that vitamin D supplements can help obese children and adolescents control their blood-sugar levels, which may help them stay clear off the disease.
Being obese puts individuals at greater risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.
"By increasing vitamin D intake alone, we got a response that was nearly as powerful as what we have seen using a prescription drug," Catherine Peterson, an associate professor of nutrition and exercise physiology at MU, said.
"We saw a decrease in insulin levels, which means better glucose control, despite no changes in body weight, dietary intake or physical activity," he said.
Peterson and her colleagues studied 35 pre-diabetic obese children and adolescents who were undergoing treatment in the MU Adolescent Diabetic Obesity Program.
All study participants insufficient or deficient vitamin D levels and had similar diets and activity levels.
They randomly were assigned either a high-dose vitamin D supplement or a placebo that they took daily for six months. Those who took the supplement became vitamin D sufficient and lowered the amount of insulin in their blood.
Adding vitamin D supplements to their diets may be an effective addition to treating obesity and its associated insulin resistance," Peterson said.
The study has been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway