Walking speed may help predict dementia: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: A recent study has revealed that walking speed and constant forgetfulness of a person can give away the early signs of dementia.
According to the researchers, early diagnosis allows time to identify and possibly treat the underlying causes of the disease, which may delay or even prevent the onset of dementia in some cases.
The new test diagnosis Motoric Cognitive Risk syndrome (MCR) has been developed to measure the gait speed (our manner of walking), it also requires asking a few simple questions about a patient's cognitive abilities, both of which takes just a few seconds.
The scientists at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University and Montefiore Medical Center, had put 27,000 older adults on five continents to a simple test measuring their walking speed and cognitive problems and has found that nearly 1 in 10 met the criteria for pre-dementia.
Joe Verghese a professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University explains that in many clinical and community settings, people don't have access to the sophisticated tests-biomarker assays, cognitive tests or neuroimaging studies used to diagnose people at risk for developing dementia, hence their new assessment method could enable many more people to learn if they're at risk of dementia, since it avoids the need for complex testing and doesn't require the test to be administered by a neurologist.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack