Want a girl child? Quit salty diet: Study
London: Mothers who want a baby girl should avoid salt and potassium rich diets, says a recent study.
These would mean giving up olives, bananas, bacon, salami, smoked salmon, prawns, savoury rice, blue cheese, potatoes, processed meats, bread and pastries.
Instead, would-be mothers should choose foods rich in calcium and magnesium, reports the Daily Mail.
They include calcium, yoghurt, hard cheese, canned salmon, rhubarb, spinach, tofu, almonds, oatmeal, broccoli and oranges besides cashew nuts, whole wheat cereals, figs and beans.
The scientists from the Maastricht University in Holland claim that the father`s diet has no effect on what sex the baby will be.
If prospective mothers want a daughter, the scientists also recommend having regular sex - but not on days immediately prior or after ovulation.
Their conclusions follow a five-year study involving 172 Western European women aged between 23-42 years. The women had all previously given birth to boys - in one case, four of them - and wanted girls.
Although many women dropped out of the survey because they could not follow strict dietary requirements or rules on when to have sex, 21 women stuck it out to the end.
Of the 21, 16 gave birth to daughters - an astonishing success rate of almost 80 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest