Want to boost sperm count? Eat mangoes, almonds!
London: Researchers at the University of Western Australia have found that men who eat diet rich in antioxidants - vitamin E and beta-carotene - boost their chances of making a baby than those who don`t.
In a study of crickets, they found that a combination of these antioxidants provided to be the best weapon against sperm damage.
The study suggests that dietary intake of foods like cantaloupe, carrots, apricots, pumpkin and mangos - orange-colored foods rich in beta-carotene - and almonds, soybean oil, and broccoli, which are rich in vitamin E, could help maintain healthy sperm in men.
To carry out their hypothesis, scientists used crickets to pit the sperm of several different males in direct competition to fertilize the female`s egg - some were put on antioxidant-rich diets, and others went deprived.
In the animal kingdom it`s typical for females to have the sperm of several males inside them at any given time, said researcher Leigh Simmons.
In their experiment, the antioxidant-fueled sperm proved to be faster swimmers.
"It is fair to say that the sperm are at war within the female, and we can expect that the most competitive sperm will win the race to the egg," Simmons said.
"Our study showed that the sperm of males who were fed antioxidants were easily able to outclass the sperm of rival males who were deprived of antioxidants."
The Australian study follows on the heels of another review published in January in The Cochrane Library, which also found that men with low sperm counts or sperm mobility who took oral antioxidants like vitamin E, zinc and magnesium improved their chances of impregnating their partner.
The study is published July 18 in the journal Ecology Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened