Watch out for harmful chemicals in cosmetics
New Delhi: Wonder what makes your skin itchy or turn red after you apply your favourite personal care product like cream and sunscreen? An expert says chemicals like paraben and phthalates present in the products are capable of damaging skin.
Sumesh Sood, chief operating officer of personal care brand Organic Harvest Company, warns against a list of chemicals commonly found in cosmetics:
Phthalates: Phthalates are a group of hormone disrupting chemicals that are found in personal care products like moisturisers and shampoos. They may lead to early puberty in girls and there is also a risk factor for later-life breast cancer.
Parabens: Parabens are a group of compounds used to prevent fungus, bacteria and other cultures from forming in cosmetics and skincare products. They are absorbed through the skin and may cause breast cancer. They are likely to irritate skin, eyes and lungs.
Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA): It is a common ingredient in sunscreens. It has been linked with cancer, skin irritation and rashes. The chemical also damages the liver and deepens the skin pigmentation.
Mineral oil: Mineral oil coats the skin like a plastic wrap, disrupting the skin's natural ability to breathe and absorb the 'natural moisture factor'. This causes burning, stinging, redness and irritation. The lack of moisture also leads to premature ageing of skin age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?