Watch out for harmful chemicals in cosmetics
New Delhi: Wonder what makes your skin itchy or turn red after you apply your favourite personal care product like cream and sunscreen? An expert says chemicals like paraben and phthalates present in the products are capable of damaging skin.
Sumesh Sood, chief operating officer of personal care brand Organic Harvest Company, warns against a list of chemicals commonly found in cosmetics:
Phthalates: Phthalates are a group of hormone disrupting chemicals that are found in personal care products like moisturisers and shampoos. They may lead to early puberty in girls and there is also a risk factor for later-life breast cancer.
Parabens: Parabens are a group of compounds used to prevent fungus, bacteria and other cultures from forming in cosmetics and skincare products. They are absorbed through the skin and may cause breast cancer. They are likely to irritate skin, eyes and lungs.
Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA): It is a common ingredient in sunscreens. It has been linked with cancer, skin irritation and rashes. The chemical also damages the liver and deepens the skin pigmentation.
Mineral oil: Mineral oil coats the skin like a plastic wrap, disrupting the skin's natural ability to breathe and absorb the 'natural moisture factor'. This causes burning, stinging, redness and irritation. The lack of moisture also leads to premature ageing of skin age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state