Watching TV likely to make you fear sickness
Washington: A new study has found that watching television and its heavy dose of medical content in news and drama can cause more concern about personal health and reduce a person’s satisfaction with life.
University of Rhode Island study, authored by Yinjiao Ye, found that TV viewing affects people’s awareness of health-risks and whether they believe they can protect their own health.
People develop these perceptions because TV viewing leads them to believe they have a greater likelihood of being victimized by health-risks as well as a strong belief in the severity of those risks.
Millions watch medical shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, House, and E.R. Evidence has shown that the mass media are powerful in disseminating health knowledge and changing health attitudes and behaviors through such programming.
Such knowledge, however, may lead people to think they are more likely to suffer from the maladies presented on TV.
As people become more knowledgeable, they enjoy life less. But ignorance, at least of TV’s presentations of medical information, is closer to bliss.
These findings extend previous research that TV viewing can also cause people to be less satisfied with their lives because it makes them more materialistic and causes them to overestimate other people’s possessions compared to their own.
Now getting sick and not being able to do much about it can be added as a second cause of life dissatisfaction.
In her study, the URI professor surveyed 274 students in the College of Communications at the University of Alabama about their TV viewing and life satisfaction. The students were not told the purpose of the survey.
The surveyed students ranged in age from 18 to 31, a youthful group associated with good health and vitality.
"While this surveyed group shows dissatisfaction, I suspect that if I surveyed a more general population the dissatisfaction would be even higher," said the researcher.
The research was published in the journal Mass Communication and Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department