Weight loss improves testosterone levels
London: Obese men who lose weight can secrete more testosterone, the principal male sex hormone.
Low testosterone levels and symptoms of male sex-related problems due to obesity may be reversible with weight loss after bariatric (obesity) surgery, latest reserach says.
"Morbidly obese men have a high prevalence of hypotestosteronenemia, or low testosterone, and of sexual dysfunction," said study co-author Jean-Paul Thissen, professor at the University of Louvain in Brussels. "It is reassuring that these problems are potentially curable by weight loss."
This study included 75 obese men who were patients at an obesity clinic between 2007 and 2010. The men had hormone testing, measurements of body fat and assessment by questionnaire of signs of androgen, or male hormone, deficiency.
Signs assessed included erectile dysfunction and low sex drive. Among these patients, 17 underwent gastric bypass surgery and were reassessed three and 12 months later, according to a Louvain statement.
Initial assessment of the 75 patients showed that 54 had signs and symptoms of androgen deficiency, and 27 had low testosterone levels. The higher the men`s body mass index, waist circumference and body fat, the lower their testosterone levels.
"This correlation suggests a potential causal relationship between obesity and low testosterone," Thissen said.
The 17 men who had weight-loss surgery lost an average of 90.2 pounds. One year after surgery, their testosterone levels increased significantly and were within the normal range, showing a reversal of testosterone deficiency, Thissen reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'