Weightlifting builds self-esteem among breast cancer survivors
Washington: In addition to muscle building,
weightlifting can also improve self-esteem among breast cancer
survivors, a new study claimed.
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of
Medicine has revealed that in addition to building muscle,
weightlifting is also a prescription for self-esteem among
breast cancer survivors.
The study showed that breast cancer survivors who lift
weights regularly feel better about bodies and their
appearance and are more satisfied with their intimate
relationships compared with survivors who do not lift weights.
Survivors` self-perceptions improved with weightlifting
regardless of how much strength they gained during the
year-long study, or whether they suffered from lymphedema, an
incurable and sometimes debilitating side effect of breast
surgery, journal Breast Cancer Research and Treatment
"It looks like weight training is not only safe and may
make lymphedema flare ups less frequent, but it also seems
help women feel better about their bodies," said Kathryn
Schmitz, who led the study.
Schmitz added, "The results suggest that the act of
spending time with your body was the thing that was important
-- not the physical results of strength".
The new insights come from a randomized controlled trial
that tested the impact of twice-weekly weight lifting for 12
months on survivors` health and emotional status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire