Weightlifting builds self-esteem among breast cancer survivors
Washington: In addition to muscle building,
weightlifting can also improve self-esteem among breast cancer
survivors, a new study claimed.
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of
Medicine has revealed that in addition to building muscle,
weightlifting is also a prescription for self-esteem among
breast cancer survivors.
The study showed that breast cancer survivors who lift
weights regularly feel better about bodies and their
appearance and are more satisfied with their intimate
relationships compared with survivors who do not lift weights.
Survivors` self-perceptions improved with weightlifting
regardless of how much strength they gained during the
year-long study, or whether they suffered from lymphedema, an
incurable and sometimes debilitating side effect of breast
surgery, journal Breast Cancer Research and Treatment
"It looks like weight training is not only safe and may
make lymphedema flare ups less frequent, but it also seems
help women feel better about their bodies," said Kathryn
Schmitz, who led the study.
Schmitz added, "The results suggest that the act of
spending time with your body was the thing that was important
-- not the physical results of strength".
The new insights come from a randomized controlled trial
that tested the impact of twice-weekly weight lifting for 12
months on survivors` health and emotional status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand