When excessive sweating becomes embarrassing
Washington: Even though sweating is a natural phenomenon, it can get embarrassing and problematic when you start sweating profusely without the normal stimuli like physical exertion, warm environment or as a coping mechanism in emotional situations.
If that is the case with you, chances are you are suffering from a medical condition called hyperhidrosis that affects 2 to 3 percent of the population.
William W. Huang, an assistant professor of dermatology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, said that, commonly, there is no particular cause found, and this is called primary hyperhidrosis.
However, there is a subset of individuals with hyperhidrosis that is caused by other conditions such as medications, cancers, metabolic and hormonal imbalances, infections and nerve injury and these individuals have secondary hyperhidrosis.
Huang said that the sweating through a shirt or always having wet hands can lead to embarrassment and discomfort.
While providing some helpful tips to deal with the condition, Huang said that hyperhidrosis can be a problem through every season and sufferers should opt for breathable, natural fiber clothing and should wash clothes after a single use.
Sweat is essentially odorless, but body odor becomes a problem due to bacteria on the skin's surface. Using an antibacterial soap is helpful and showers over baths are better for removing sweat and bacteria.
Avoiding certain foods such as fatty foods, oils, and strong smelling foods like garlic, onions, and curry that can seep through pores can help with body odor.
Reduce caffeine intake from coffee, teas and soft drinks because they can stimulate the sweat glands.
Stay hydrated, especially in the summer, because excessive sweating causes loss of water and electrolytes.
Seek medical attention. There are many medical treatments available that can often be life changing.
Huang said the first step is to use an over the counter or prescription strength antiperspirant that contains aluminum chloride compounds that help close off the sweat glands.
Oral medications such as anticholinergics block the primary signal (acetylcholine) that stimulates the sweat glands to make sweat.
In addition, he said, there are in-office procedures that can treat hyperhidrosis such as iontophoresis - a technique that uses water to conduct a mild electrical current through the skin's surface - and injections of botulinum toxin type A.
Lastly, there are surgeries that can be performed called sympathectomies which are reserved for the most severe and treatment-resistant cases.
More recently a non-invasive procedure has been developed that uses microwave-based energy to destroy sweat glands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm