White wine rots teeth: Study
London: The next time you down a goblet
of white wine, do give a second thought, for a new study says
that the beverage may damage your teeth much more than reds.
Researchers in Germany have found that white
wines wear away enamel more quickly than red wines -- in fact,
prolonged contact with the drink erodes the protective layer,
making teeth more sensitive to cold, hot and sweet food.
In their study, a team from the famous Johannes
Gutenberg University in Mainz looked at the effects of eight
red and white wines from Germany, France, Italy and Spain on
the enamel of teeth removed from men and women aged 40 to 65.
The teeth were soaked in wines for up to 24 hours and
then carefully analysed under the microscope. Teeth soaked in
whites had more damage than those left overnight in red wines,
the `Daily Mail` reported.
"Within the limits of this study, it can be predicted
that frequent consumption of white wines might lead to severe
dental erosion," lead author Dr Brita Willershausen was quoted
by the British newspaper as saying.
Past studies have shown that fizzy drinks and lemon,
orange and grapefruit juice can rot dental enamel. Diet, the
frequency of sipping and the role of saliva can alter the way
white wine rots teeth.
But the researchers also believe calcium-rich food
could offset some of the damage.
"The tradition of enjoying different cheeses for
dessert or in combination with drinking wine might have a
beneficial effect on preventing dental erosion because cheese
contains calcium in a high concentration," the researchers
wrote in the `Nutrition Research` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?