White wine rots teeth: Study
London: The next time you down a goblet
of white wine, do give a second thought, for a new study says
that the beverage may damage your teeth much more than reds.
Researchers in Germany have found that white
wines wear away enamel more quickly than red wines -- in fact,
prolonged contact with the drink erodes the protective layer,
making teeth more sensitive to cold, hot and sweet food.
In their study, a team from the famous Johannes
Gutenberg University in Mainz looked at the effects of eight
red and white wines from Germany, France, Italy and Spain on
the enamel of teeth removed from men and women aged 40 to 65.
The teeth were soaked in wines for up to 24 hours and
then carefully analysed under the microscope. Teeth soaked in
whites had more damage than those left overnight in red wines,
the `Daily Mail` reported.
"Within the limits of this study, it can be predicted
that frequent consumption of white wines might lead to severe
dental erosion," lead author Dr Brita Willershausen was quoted
by the British newspaper as saying.
Past studies have shown that fizzy drinks and lemon,
orange and grapefruit juice can rot dental enamel. Diet, the
frequency of sipping and the role of saliva can alter the way
white wine rots teeth.
But the researchers also believe calcium-rich food
could offset some of the damage.
"The tradition of enjoying different cheeses for
dessert or in combination with drinking wine might have a
beneficial effect on preventing dental erosion because cheese
contains calcium in a high concentration," the researchers
wrote in the `Nutrition Research` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination