WHO urges sufficient health budgets despite economic plight
Rio De Janeiro: The World Health Organization (WHO) has called on all governments to keep up sufficient health budgets despite the current economic woes.
Speaking at the World Conference on Social Determinants of Health Wednesday, WHO Director-General Margaret Chan reminded participants of the lessons learnt from the mistakes made during the crisis in the 1970s.
Chan said those governments who cut social spending in the 1970s ended up with extremely weak health systems, which they are suffering from today.
The director-general said after the outbreak of the 2008 crisis, she met with some health authorities and asked them to keep up their budgets, telling them that the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund also opposed social spending cuts, reported Xinhua.
At the conference, Chan called upon the governments to set their people`s health a priority over business interests and to eradicate inequality in health care services.
She said governments should put their citizens` health before that of businesses, especially when the crisis is deepening. She added that more than $30 billion should be spent in curing diseases such as cancer and diabetes in the next 20 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog