Why chocolate is good for your health
Washington: As Valentine`s Day approaches, the American Chemical Society (ACS) - the world`s largest scientific society, has released a new Bytesize Science video today featuring five chemistry facts that highlight why chocolate, in moderation, may be good for you.
The video explains how a bar of chocolate contains hundreds of compounds, many with beneficial properties.
Among the video`s "sweet" facts were that chocolate may improve your mood, and not just because of its delicious flavor.
Chocolate contains a number of chemicals that inhibit the breakdown of the neurotransmitter anandamide - sometimes called "the molecule of bliss" - which can block feelings of pain and depression.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulants that can provide a burst of energy.
According to an article from the ACS` Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the naturally occurring polyphenols in cocoa - the key ingredient in chocolate - boost levels of HDL, commonly known as the "good cholesterol."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?