Why chocolate is good for your health
Washington: As Valentine`s Day approaches, the American Chemical Society (ACS) - the world`s largest scientific society, has released a new Bytesize Science video today featuring five chemistry facts that highlight why chocolate, in moderation, may be good for you.
The video explains how a bar of chocolate contains hundreds of compounds, many with beneficial properties.
Among the video`s "sweet" facts were that chocolate may improve your mood, and not just because of its delicious flavor.
Chocolate contains a number of chemicals that inhibit the breakdown of the neurotransmitter anandamide - sometimes called "the molecule of bliss" - which can block feelings of pain and depression.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulants that can provide a burst of energy.
According to an article from the ACS` Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the naturally occurring polyphenols in cocoa - the key ingredient in chocolate - boost levels of HDL, commonly known as the "good cholesterol."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Nissan may introduce electric sports car by 2020
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival