Why chocolate is good for your health
Washington: As Valentine`s Day approaches, the American Chemical Society (ACS) - the world`s largest scientific society, has released a new Bytesize Science video today featuring five chemistry facts that highlight why chocolate, in moderation, may be good for you.
The video explains how a bar of chocolate contains hundreds of compounds, many with beneficial properties.
Among the video`s "sweet" facts were that chocolate may improve your mood, and not just because of its delicious flavor.
Chocolate contains a number of chemicals that inhibit the breakdown of the neurotransmitter anandamide - sometimes called "the molecule of bliss" - which can block feelings of pain and depression.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, stimulants that can provide a burst of energy.
According to an article from the ACS` Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the naturally occurring polyphenols in cocoa - the key ingredient in chocolate - boost levels of HDL, commonly known as the "good cholesterol."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal