Why psychopaths fail to empathize when situation demands
London: A new study has found that psychopaths do not lack empathy, but fail to use it when its required.
A brain imaging study in the Netherlands showed that individuals with psychopathy have reduced empathy while witnessing the pains of others.
When asked to empathize, however, they can activate their empathy.
This could explain why psychopathic individuals can be callous and socially cunning at the same time.
Individuals with psychopathy characteristically demonstrate reduced empathy with the feelings of others, which may explain why it is easier for them to hurt other people.
However, what causes this lack of empathy is poorly understood, as scientific studies on psychopathic subjects are notoriously hard to conduct.
"Convicted criminals with a diagnosis of psychopathy are confined to high-security forensic institutions in which state-of-the-art technology to study their brain, like magnetic resonance imaging, is usually unavailable," Professor Christian Keysers, Head of the Social Brain Lab in Amsterdam, and senior author of the study, said.
"Bringing them to scientific research centres, on the other hand, requires the kind of high-security transportation that most judicial systems are unwilling to finance," he said.
The study is published in the Journal Brain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?