Why smokers struggle to kick the butt
Researchers may now have a reason to explain why many smokers struggle to kick the butt.
According to a new study conducted by the University of Wisconsin Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, smokers with a history of anxiety disorders are less likely to quit than other smokers.
The study found that more than a third of the 1,504 smokers who participated in the research had a history of anxiety disorders. Of the 1,504 participants, 455 had experienced a panic attack, 199 suffered from a social anxiety disorder, and 99 had been diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder. Some reported having more than one anxiety-related diagnosis.
Other research has shown that up to 25 percent of the more than 50 million smokers in the US have been diagnosed with at least one anxiety disorder in their lifetime.
The study`s lead author Megan Piper says it surprised her that the nicotine lozenge and patch - alone or in combination - failed to help patients with an anxiety history to quit smoking.
In the general population, the lozenge and patch - especially when combined - have been very effective in helping patients quit smoking. Bupropion (Zyban) alone, or in combination with the nicotine lozenge, also did not increase cessation rates among patients with a history of anxiety disorders.
"Further research is needed to identify better counseling and medication treatments to help patients with anxiety disorders to quit smoking," she said.
Study participants with anxiety disorders also reported higher levels of nicotine dependence and withdrawal symptoms prior to quitting. All smokers often experienced cravings, negative feelings and difficulty in concentrating immediately after finishing a cigarette, and these reactions were heightened because the smokers knew they were about to attempt to quit.
Participants with anxiety disorders also experienced more intense negative feelings on their `quit day` than did the other smokers.
These findings suggest that clinicians should assess anxiety-disorder status when helping patients quit smoking. While anxiety medications alone have not boosted cessation rates,
Piper is planning further research to test other quit-smoking counseling interventions and medications with patients who have had an anxiety diagnosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark