Why we can`t resist chips
Washington: Have you ever wondered why you can`t stop eating just one potato chip? It`s because the fats in these foods help trigger a marijuana-like chemical in body which makes them hard to resist, scientists have found.
Researchers at the University of California – Irvine (ICI) found that fats in these foods trigger a surprising biological mechanism that produces natural marijuana-like chemicals in the body called endocannabinoids, which increases the craving for more fatty food.
In their study, appeared online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers discovered that when rats tasted something fatty, cells in their upper gut started producing endocannabinoids. Sugars and proteins, the researchers noted, did not have this effect.
The process starts on the tongue, where fats in food generate a signal that travels first to the brain and then through a nerve bundle called the vagus to the intestines.
There, the signal stimulates the production of endocannabinoids, which initiates a surge in cell signalling that prompts the wanton intake of fatty foods, probably by initiating the release of digestive chemicals linked to hunger and satiety that compel us to eat more, the researchers said.
The findings suggest it might be possible to curb this tendency by obstructing endocannabinoid activity, for example, by using drugs that "clog" cannabinoid receptors, said Daniele Piomelli, who led the ICI study.
"Since these drugs wouldn`t need to enter the brain, they shouldn`t cause the central side effects -- anxiety and depression -- seen when endocannabinoid signalling is blocked in the brain," he noted.
Piomelli said that from an evolutionary standpoint, there`s a compelling need for animals to consume fats, which are scarce in nature but crucial for proper cell functioning.
In contemporary human society, however, fats are readily available, and the innate drive to eat fatty foods leads to obesity, diabetes and cancer.
"This is the first demonstration that endocannabinoid signalling in the gut plays an important role in regulating fat intake," Louise Turner Arnold Chair in the Neurosciences
and professor of pharmacology added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses