Willpower linked to weight loss
Washington: Individuals with greater willpower are more likely to shed unnecessary pounds, says a new study.
Researchers led by Tricia M. Leahey found that individuals with more willpower or self-control lost more weight; were more physically active; consumed fewer calories from fat; and had better attendance at weight loss group meetings.
The same was true for participants who experienced an increase in self-control during a six-month behavioural weight loss treatment programme, the journal Obesity Research and Clinical Practice reports.
While the findings may seem obvious, Leahey from the Miriam Hospital`s Weight Control and Diabetes Research Centre, says there have been surprisingly few studies focusing on the impact of self-control on weight loss.
"Of course, it makes sense that if you have more willpower you`ll do better in a weight loss programme, however, this phenomena is surprisingly not studied much," she says, according to a Miriam statement.
"Our study is the first to examine whether practicing acts of self-control during weight loss is linked to an increase in self-control and better weight loss outcomes, although other research has demonstrated this effect in the area of smoking cessation," Leahey adds.
"The more you `exercise` it by eating a low fat diet, working out even when you don`t feel like it, and going to group meetings when you`d rather stay home, the more you`ll increase and strengthen your self-control `muscle` and quite possibly lose more weight and improve your health," says Leahey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm