Wish to live long? Get a longer DNA `tail`
London: People who experience high levels of social stress and deprivation age faster as the cellular process involving DNA repair (or replication) may get affected by loneliness, a significant study shows.
DNA has a “tail” called a telomere.
A telomere is a region of repetitive DNA at the end of a chromosome, which protects the end of the chromosome from deterioration.
In order for the body to replace old, dying cells and make healthy new ones, the DNA must replicate, splitting in half to make an exact copy of itself.
Telomeres shorten with each cell division, and once a critical length is reached, cells are unable to divide further.
In other words, the longer the telomeres, the better.
“Studies on humans suggest that people who have experienced high levels of social stress and deprivation have shorter telomeres,” explained Dustin Penn from the Konrad Lorenz Institute of Ethology at University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna.
This study is the first to examine the effects of social isolation on telomere length in any species, he added.
To test whether social isolation accelerates telomere shortening, researchers conducted a study using DNA samples collected from African grey parrots during routine check-ups.
African greys are highly social birds but they are often reared and kept in isolation from other parrots.
She and her collaborators compared the telomere lengths of single birds versus pair-housed individuals with a broad range of ages (from 1 to 45 years).
They found that single-housed birds had shorter telomeres than pair-housed individuals of the same age group.
“Telomere length may be useful as a 'biomarker' that enables to assess an individual's exposure to chronic social stress,” Penn added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn