With 41 million obese, India third after US, China: Report
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: India has been ranked third after the US and China in having the highest number of overweight people in the world according to a new study. India reportedly has 41 million obese people.
India and China together represent 15 percent of the world's obese population.
The "Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013" report highlights nearly one-third of the world's population is obese or overweight.
This study was released on May 29 and it spanned 33 years and 188 countries.It also states the number of overweight and obese individuals globally increased from 857 million in 1980 to 2.1 billion in 2013.
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington conducted this analysis and found that one in five Indian men and women are either overweight or obese.
However, these rates are lower than Bhutan and Pakistan, but higher than Nepal and Bangladesh.
Although the prevalence of obesity has increased over the course of the 33-year study in India, only 3.7 percent men and 4.2 percent women were obese in 2013.
In the last 33 years, no country has successfully reduced obesity rates.
"In the last three decades, not one country has achieved success in reducing obesity rates, and we expect obesity to rise steadily as incomes rise in low and middle income countries in particular, unless urgent steps are taken to address this public health crisis," said Christopher Murray, director of IHME and a co-founder of the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack