Wockhardt to launch generic version of Plavix
Mumbai: Pharmaceutical and biotechnology major Wockhardt has received final approval from the United States Food & Drug Administration (US FDA) for marketing tablets of Clopidogrel bisulfate and a tentative approval for the tablets Clopidogrel bisulfate, which are used to help reduce risk of heart attack or stroke.
Clopidogrel is the generic name for brand Plavix, marketed in the United States by Bristol-Myers Squibb. Wockhardt is launching the product immediately, a company statement said here.
According to IMS Health, the total market for this product in the US was over USD 6,500 million. Prevalence of atherosclerotic diseases is rapidly growing the world over. But by inhibiting the clotting within blood vessels, it reduces risk of heart attacks and strokes and is one of the most used pharmaceutical products in the world.
"We have received two ANDA approvals in the last three days," Wockhardt chairman Habil Khorakiwala said.
"Wockhardt`s rapidly growing presence has been aided in large, by the steady stream of new products," he said.
Wockhardt will be manufacturing the Clopidogrel bisulfate API in its facility at Ankleshwar, India and the tablets of Clopidogrel at its facility in Aurangabad, India. The technology for the API and the tables were developed in-house, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery