Women fearing childbirth have longer labour
Oslo: Women who fear childbirth tend to have longer labour than women who have no such fear, suggests a new research.
Researchers found that average labour duration was eight hours for women with fear of childbirth, compared to six hours and 28 minutes for women without fear.
The Norwegian study looked at 2,206 women with a single pregnancy who intended to deliver vaginally. Study co-author Samantha Salvesen Adams, Health Services Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway said: "Fear of childbirth seems to be an increasingly important issue in obstetric care."
"Our finding of longer duration of labour in women who fear childbirth is a new piece in the puzzle within this intersection between psychology and obstetrics," added Adams, the International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology reports.
Some of the factors linked with this fear, which affects between five and 20 percent of pregnant women, include young maternal age, being a first-time mother, pre-existing psychological problems, lack of social support and a history of abuse or adverse obstetric events, according to a Akershus statement.
Fear of childbirth was assessed by the Wijma Delivery Expectancy Questionnaire (W-DEQ). Women undertook the questionnaire at 32 weeks gestation and fear of childbirth was defined as a score of more than 85. Out of the total number, 165 (7.5 percent) women scored more than 85.
The average age of the participants at delivery was 30.9 years and 50.5 percent (1,113 women) were first time mothers. Average labour duration was 8.22 hours for first-time mothers.
The study also found that women with fear of childbirth more often delivered by instrumental vaginal delivery (17.0 percent versus 10.6 percent) or emergency caesarean delivery (10.9 percent versus 6.8 percent) as compared to women without fear of childbirth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened