Women get winter blues: Study
London: Women get `winter blues` as dark evenings and chilly temperatures prevent them from venturing outside, a new study has found.
Lack of daylight can also make women feel `sad` as experts say most people feel down from time to time in winter and many suffer with seasonal affective disorder (Sad).
Sad is a type of depression thought to be caused by a lack of daylight, said Dr Rob Hicks, a medical journalist and General practitioner.
Almost twice as many women (28 percent) as men (15 percent) admitted seeking solace in stodgy meals and carb-heavy snacks since the clocks went back in October.
A whopping 77 percent of women as opposed to 64 per cent of men say the reduction in daylight negatively affects their eating habits.
Some 37 percent of women claimed shorter days were more likely to keep them inside, compared to 28 percent of men, the survey by Anglian Home Improvements found.
"This lack of daylight is believed to disturb the balance of chemicals in the brain and to upset the body`s internal clock. The result is too much melatonin, the hormone that makes us feel tired and ready for sleep, and not enough serotonin, the hormone that helps us feel happy," Hicks said.
"Spending as much time as possible exposed to daylight can help lift our mood. This can be achieved by being outdoors or when indoors being close to a window. If indoors, a room where plenty of daylight is available such as a conservatory is a very good option," Hicks added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM