Women get winter blues: Study
London: Women get `winter blues` as dark evenings and chilly temperatures prevent them from venturing outside, a new study has found.
Lack of daylight can also make women feel `sad` as experts say most people feel down from time to time in winter and many suffer with seasonal affective disorder (Sad).
Sad is a type of depression thought to be caused by a lack of daylight, said Dr Rob Hicks, a medical journalist and General practitioner.
Almost twice as many women (28 percent) as men (15 percent) admitted seeking solace in stodgy meals and carb-heavy snacks since the clocks went back in October.
A whopping 77 percent of women as opposed to 64 per cent of men say the reduction in daylight negatively affects their eating habits.
Some 37 percent of women claimed shorter days were more likely to keep them inside, compared to 28 percent of men, the survey by Anglian Home Improvements found.
"This lack of daylight is believed to disturb the balance of chemicals in the brain and to upset the body`s internal clock. The result is too much melatonin, the hormone that makes us feel tired and ready for sleep, and not enough serotonin, the hormone that helps us feel happy," Hicks said.
"Spending as much time as possible exposed to daylight can help lift our mood. This can be achieved by being outdoors or when indoors being close to a window. If indoors, a room where plenty of daylight is available such as a conservatory is a very good option," Hicks added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance
- LeEco sells 61,000 units of Le 2 and Le Max2 for online sales record of Rs 78 cr
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding