Women possess potentially ‘unlimited’ supply of eggs
London: Women could have the opportunity to give birth with their own eggs later in life as they possess a potentially “unlimited” supply of them, scientists say.
Fertility doctors said that the study opens up new possibilities for IVF.
According to the American team women ovaries contain stem cells, which can “spontaneously” generate into immature eggs in the laboratory.
The prevailing wisdom has been that women have a finite number of eggs that gradually diminish in number and quality until the menopause.
But British experts said the findings, published in the journal Nature Medicine, “re-write the rule book” on this point and amounted to “a potentially landmark piece of research”.
The academics, led by Dr Jonathan Tilly of Massachusetts General Hospital, managed to identify and extract human stem cells that can go on to become immature eggs, because all carry a unique protein called DDX4.
These “spontaneously generated” into immature eggs, called oocytes, in the laboratory.
Using live ovarian tissue grafted into mice, these oocytes cells were made to mature into egg cells.
The researchers also took the science on - but using mice stem cells for the whole process - to show that this type of cell could then be fertilised with sperm to produce embryos.
Dr Tilly said the study “opens the door for development of unprecedented technologies to overcome infertility in women and perhaps even delay the timing of ovarian failure”.
“I think it opens up the chance that sometime in the future we might get to the point of having an unlimited source of human eggs,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
Dr Allan Pacey, an expert in male fertility at Sheffield University, told the BBC: “Not only does this re-write the rule book, it opens up a number of exciting possibilities for preserving the fertility of women undergoing treatment for cancer, or just maybe for women who are suffering infertility by extracting these cells and making her new eggs in the lab.”
Stuart Lavery, a consultant gynaecologist and IVF specialist at Hammersmith Hospital in London, described the report as “extremely significant” and “a potentially landmark piece of research”.
“If this research is confirmed it may overturn one of the great asymmetries of reproductive biology - that a woman``’s reproductive pool of gametes may be renewable, just like a man’s,” he added.
However, they cautioned that there was still a long way to go before showing the process was viable in humans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo