Women suffer high rates of sleep apnoea: Study
Stockholm: Women suffer from high rates of sleep apnoea, a condition marked by frequent pauses in breathing during sleep, despite the disorder being linked predominantly with males.
The study from Uppsala and Umea Universities also suggest that women with hypertension and/or obesity were more likely to experience sleep apnoea.
Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) increases with age and it is considered more prevalent in men than in women, the European Respiratory Journal reports.
The study analysed 400 women from a random sample of 10,000 women. The participants answered a questionnaire and underwent a sleep examination, according to an Uppsala statement.
The results found that OSA was present in 50 percent of women aged 20 years. Researchers also found links between age, obesity and hypertension: eighty percent of women with hypertension and 84 percent of obese women suffered from sleep apnoea.
Additionally, severe sleep apnoea was present in 31 percent of obese women aged 55-70 years old.
Karl Franklin, professor at Umea, who led the study, said: "We were very surprised to find such a high occurrence of sleep apnoea in women, as it is traditionally thought of as a male disorder."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof