Women turning to breast milk to fight cancer
Melbourne: An Australian woman, who has drunk a glass of breast milk every day since being diagnosed with cancer believes that it is saving her life.
Jenny Jones consumes a daily 400ml dose of milk from an anonymous donor ever since she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, or bone marrow cancer, seven months ago.
It has been proved that breast milk helps build immunity in newborn babies and is a unique nutritional source that cannot adequately be replaced by any other food.
Though breast milk treatment was not prescribed by her doctor, her decision has been supported by doctors at John Flynn Private Hospital and the Mater Hospital in Brisbane where she is treated.
The 62-year-old said her cancer levels when she was diagnosed in December were “dramatic”. But after a month of daily doses of breast milk she said her levels had reduced significantly.
The mother-of-three admitted to also following standard cancer treatments including oral chemotherapy.
Gold Coast oncologist Dr Steven Stylian said that it was difficult to know which treatments were working on Jones but said that he would not dismiss the milk treatment.
“People stumble across cures all the time this way,” News.com.au quoted Dr Stylian as saying.
All treatments need to be evaluated and I`m open minded about it,” he said.
Jones had been a lactation consultant at John Flynn for 14 years and said that she was aware about the milk`s benefits.
“I`d never tasted it and never wanted to but once I had this big thing happen in my life, I just threw it down because I believe in it,” Jones added.
In 2010 researchers in Sweden had published a study that showed breast milk could kill cancer cells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'