Women`s brains grow after giving birth
London: Having a baby may make a woman more intelligent. Research shows that a woman`s grey matter - brain cells that crunch information - grows in the weeks and months after she has given birth.
And it`s the most doting mothers who experience the biggest burst of brain cells. Such changes usually only occur after intense periods of learning or a brain injury or illness.
It is thought that the hormonal changes associated with having a baby ‘supercharge` the brain, helping prepare women for the challenges ahead.
And the memory lapses that plague new mothers may be explained by a simpler cause - sleep deprivation, reports a newspaper.
The finding contradicts the popular notion that motherhood addles a woman`s brain, reports the journal Behavioral Neuroscience.
Neuroscientists from Yale University in the US scanned the brains of a group of new mothers in the weeks after they had given birth.
The results showed that the amount of grey matter had increased by a small but significant amount by the time the women were three to four months into motherhood.
The areas that grew involve motivation, reasoning, judgement, the processing of emotions and feelings of satisfaction, and are keys to the mother-child relationship.
Expansion in the brain`s ‘motivation area`, said the researchers, could lead to more nurturing, which would help babies survive and thrive physically, emotionally and cognitively.
Mothers who gushed most about their newborns tended to experience the biggest amounts of growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?