Women`s brains grow after giving birth
London: Having a baby may make a woman more intelligent. Research shows that a woman`s grey matter - brain cells that crunch information - grows in the weeks and months after she has given birth.
And it`s the most doting mothers who experience the biggest burst of brain cells. Such changes usually only occur after intense periods of learning or a brain injury or illness.
It is thought that the hormonal changes associated with having a baby ‘supercharge` the brain, helping prepare women for the challenges ahead.
And the memory lapses that plague new mothers may be explained by a simpler cause - sleep deprivation, reports a newspaper.
The finding contradicts the popular notion that motherhood addles a woman`s brain, reports the journal Behavioral Neuroscience.
Neuroscientists from Yale University in the US scanned the brains of a group of new mothers in the weeks after they had given birth.
The results showed that the amount of grey matter had increased by a small but significant amount by the time the women were three to four months into motherhood.
The areas that grew involve motivation, reasoning, judgement, the processing of emotions and feelings of satisfaction, and are keys to the mother-child relationship.
Expansion in the brain`s ‘motivation area`, said the researchers, could lead to more nurturing, which would help babies survive and thrive physically, emotionally and cognitively.
Mothers who gushed most about their newborns tended to experience the biggest amounts of growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly