Women`s brains more resilient to defects than men: Study
Washington: Researchers have said that women are able to carry higher levels of genetic defects without getting any brain development disorders like autism, supporting the possibility of a "female protective effect."
The study has provided clues as to why 50 percent more males typically have an intellectual disability than females and why boys are four times likelier to suffer from autism than girls, Discovery News reported.
Professor Evan Eichler of the University of Washington, USA, led a Swiss-U.S. team to look for genetic defects in 15,585 people diagnosed with a range of disorders believed to be due to faulty brain development - known as neurodevelopmental disorders.
The defects that were being looked for were large "copy number variants" (CNVs) - sections of chromosomes carrying perhaps a dozen genes either missing, or present as multiple copies.
Surprisingly, the females in the sample had more CNVs than the males, and despite both sexes in the study having neurodevelopmental disorders , the females were carrying a bigger "burden" of genetic damage.
The study has been published in The American Journal of Human Genetics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living