World Tuberculosis Day is being observed today
New Delhi: The World Tuberculosis Day is being observed Sunday.
A series of functions are being oraganised by the concerned departments to raise awareness about prevention of the disease.
On this occasion, President Pranab Mukherjee has said India has, and will continue to lead the fight against TB.
"Last year, the Government introduced ground-breaking policies, including a ban on the use of inaccurate blood tests for TB and declared TB a notifiable disease. India`s vision is to provide `Universal Access to Quality Diagnosis and Treatment` over the next 5 years to all, regardless of their economic or social status," said President Mukherjee
"On this occasion, I call upon all stakeholders to come together for this fight against TB and to undertake all the necessary steps to achieve the goal of zero TB deaths. Let us all work together to achieve a TB-free India," he added.
President Mukherjee said `on the occasion of World Tuberculosis Day, I commend the important work that has been undertaken by various stakeholders led by the National TB Programme`. `
"Since 1998, due to the successful implementation of the DOTS strategy; more than 14.2 million people across India have accessed treatment," President Mukherjee said in his message on the occasion of World Tuberculosis Day.
"However, it is worrisome that India continues to have the highest burden of TB in the world. One of the greatest challenges facing TB control is the detection and management of drug resistant strains of TB. Such challenges highlight the need for strengthening research and development to urgently introduce new diagnostics, drugs and vaccines," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’