World`s first uterus transplant
Istanbul: In what could be called a medical breakthrough, surgeons in Turkey claim to have carried out the world`s first uterus transplant.
A team at Akdeniz University successfully performed the surgery on a 21-year-old student, Turkish news agency `ANADOLU` reported.
Prof Israfil Kurtcephe, rector of the varsity, said: "A team headed by Associate Prof Omer Ozkan of the Reconstructive Plastic Surgery performed the transplant on a 21-year-old patient. The surgery was a success and the patient is recovering rapidly."
He added: "In September 2010, we performed the world`s first double arm transplant. Now, we are getting ready for face transplant."
Surgeons consider uterus transplant especially difficult since uterus is a complex organ supplied by four blood vessels, which are very small by transplant standards,
giving more scope for blood clotting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma