World`s smallest 3D-printed human liver developed
New York: The world's smallest 3D printed human liver which can survive for 40 days and functions like the real organ has been developed.
The liver tissue, developed by US-based medical research company Organvo, is only half a millimetre deep and just four millimetres wide.
The company presented the data demonstrating retention of key liver functions in bio-printed tissues for up to 40 days, longer than one month.
The "worlds' smallest human liver" contains 20 layers of hepatocytes, which carry out liver functions, along with two major types of liver cell, Metro.Co.Uk reported.
The printer adds cells from the lining of a blood vessel, which allows the liver cells to receive nutrients and oxygen.
Organovo's 3D Liver tissue can potentially have value in assessing toxicology problems in human liver over a long period, including sub-acute and multiple dose effects, the company said in a statement.
"This additional functional validation of Organovo's 3D Liver continues the demonstration of strong performance of these tissues," said Keith Murphy, Organovo's chief executive officer.
"In April we were able to show that liver function was retained in our 3D Liver for over five days, and we have now demonstrated that our tissues perform consistently for at least 40 days, a significant improvement over the average 48 hour performance of 2D cultures," said Murphy.
Organovo generated bio-printed liver tissue prototypes that contain both parenchymal and non-parenchymal cells in spatially controlled, user-defined geometries that reproduce compositional and architectural features of native tissue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read