Youths, healthy adults at risk from swine flu: Study
Washington: Adolescents and relatively healthy adults are especially at risk from the swine flu, which is associated with respiratory failure and a high mortality rate in serious cases, a latest study has said.
The study, conducted during the first phase of infection between March 18 and June 1 in Mexico and April 16 through August 12 in Canada, also shows how emergency services
were sometimes submerged by the number of serious cases that needed to be treated simultaneously.
At least 4,525 people have died from swine flu infections since April and there have been over 378,223 laboratory-confirmed cases, the World Health Organisation said
Friday, with most deaths occurring in the Americas.
"Our analysis of critically ill patients with 2009 influenza A(H1N1) reveals that this disease affected a young patient group," wrote the authors of the study led by
Guillermo Dommnguez-Cherit of the Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Midicas y Nutricisn in Mexico City.
"Early recognition of disease by the consistent symptoms of fever and a respiratory illness during times of outbreak" accompanied by "prompt medical attention," the
authors said, "may provide opportunities to mitigate the progression of illness and mortality observed in Mexico."
In "almost all cases," fever and respiratory symptoms were harbingers of disease, they added.
"There was a relatively long period of illness prior to presentation to the hospital, followed by a short period of acute and severe respiratory deterioration."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended