A cup of coffee a day keeps retinal damage away
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Gradually, the medical community is changing its tune from “coffee is more trouble than it is worth” to “it is not as bad as we were told!” Yes, you have got another reason to have a cup of coffee everyday.
Researchers have said that one cup of coffee could help prevent deteriorating eyesight and possible blindness from retinal degeneration due to glaucoma, aging and diabetes.
The retina is a thin tissue layer on the inside, back wall of the eye with millions of light-sensitive cells and other nerve cells that receive and organize visual information.
Being one of the most metabolically active tissues it demands high levels of oxygen and makes it prone to oxidative stress. The lack of oxygen and production of free radicals leads to tissue damage and loss of sight.
Raw coffee has about 7 to 9 percent chlorogenic acid which is a strong antioxidant that prevents retinal degeneration in mice.
To conduct their experiment, mice were treated with nitric oxide, which creates oxidative stress and free radicals and leads to retinal degeneration.
Those that were pretreated with CLA developed no sign of retinal damage.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown