A cup of coffee a day keeps retinal damage away
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Gradually, the medical community is changing its tune from “coffee is more trouble than it is worth” to “it is not as bad as we were told!” Yes, you have got another reason to have a cup of coffee everyday.
Researchers have said that one cup of coffee could help prevent deteriorating eyesight and possible blindness from retinal degeneration due to glaucoma, aging and diabetes.
The retina is a thin tissue layer on the inside, back wall of the eye with millions of light-sensitive cells and other nerve cells that receive and organize visual information.
Being one of the most metabolically active tissues it demands high levels of oxygen and makes it prone to oxidative stress. The lack of oxygen and production of free radicals leads to tissue damage and loss of sight.
Raw coffee has about 7 to 9 percent chlorogenic acid which is a strong antioxidant that prevents retinal degeneration in mice.
To conduct their experiment, mice were treated with nitric oxide, which creates oxidative stress and free radicals and leads to retinal degeneration.
Those that were pretreated with CLA developed no sign of retinal damage.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh