Almonds best for reducing hunger pangs without piling on the pounds
Washington: A new study has found that people who eat 1.5 ounces of dry-roasted, lightly salted almonds every day experience reduced hunger and improved dietary vitamin E and monounsaturated ("good") fat intake without increasing body weight.
Snacking has become nearly universal behavior in the United States, with an estimated 97 percent of Americans consuming at least one snack per day.
In light of increasing snacking frequency and snack size among US adults, combined with continued increases in obesity rates and widespread nutrient shortfalls, it becomes increasingly important to identify snacks that pose little risk for weight gain while providing health benefits.
Snacking reportedly increases risk for weight gain, but this broad generalization may mask different responses to select foods.
The newly published randomized, controlled clinical study, led by researchers at Purdue University, investigated the effects of almond snacking on weight and appetite.
"This research suggests that almonds may be a good snack option, especially for those concerned about weight," Richard Mattes, PhD, MPH, RD, distinguished professor of nutrition science at Purdue University and the study's principal investigator, said.
"In this study, participants compensated for the additional calories provided by the almonds so daily energy intake did not rise and reported reduced hunger levels and desire to eat at subsequent meals, particularly when almonds were consumed as a snack," he said.
The findings are published the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing