Arthritis: 5 foods that help reduce chronic pain
Arthritis is a form of inflammation of joints. It involves severe pain, swelling in joints, and joint stiffness. There are more than 100 types of arthritis, of which Osteoarthritis is the most common. Sounds painful? It is indeed agonising.
Going by data in our own country, India currently is home to around 2.5 million arthritis patients, according to experts.
As such there is no cure for arthritis, but definitely a change in lifestyle accompanied with small alterations in one’s diet can yield big returns in keeping a check on the disease.
Here are five superfoods that can help ease arthritis pain.
Believe it or not but eating at least one portion of oily fish such as salmon, trout and mackerel once a week could halve the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. This is so because fish contains abundance of Omega- 3 fatty acids which decrease the production of chemicals that spread the chronic joint condition. In addition, fish oil also contains Vitamin D, which helps prevent swelling and soreness.
Make room for this wonder food as flaxseeds as just 2 tablespoons contain loads of omega-3s and help ease inflammation and joint pain. It also contains alpha-linolenic acid and lignans which have antioxidant benefits.
Turmeric, also known as `Haldi`, has been on the Indian food menu since eons. It is widely used in Indian cooking. Studies suggest that turmeric helps a lot in treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
It’s official that tea is good for your health. The active ingredients in green tea namely polyphenols and flavonoids boost the immune system, thereby showing promise to help ease the inflammation and pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
Researchers suggest that drinking tart cherry juice twice daily for three weeks can lead to significant reductions in chronic inflammation. Also, the sweet and tangy, red coloured, tiny seasonal fruit is rich in the antioxidant compounds called anthocyanins - which help relieve muscle and joint soreness.
Compiled by: Shruti Saxena
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown