Bananas `better than sports drinks for athletes`
London: Bananas beat sports drinks as energy source for athletes, a new study has revealed.
The fruit, which is rich in potassium and nutrients, has always been a favourite for endurance runners and cyclists.
Now scientists have confirmed that as well as maintaining the same levels of energy as carbohydrate drinks, bananas also possess healthier sugars.
The study revealed that bananas contained antioxidants not found in sugary sports drinks apart from having a greater nutritional boost.
“It shows healthier energy sources can still support an athlete’s high performance,” the Daily Express quoted Dr David Nieman, of Appalachian State University in North Carolina, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC