Bananas `better than sports drinks for athletes`
London: Bananas beat sports drinks as energy source for athletes, a new study has revealed.
The fruit, which is rich in potassium and nutrients, has always been a favourite for endurance runners and cyclists.
Now scientists have confirmed that as well as maintaining the same levels of energy as carbohydrate drinks, bananas also possess healthier sugars.
The study revealed that bananas contained antioxidants not found in sugary sports drinks apart from having a greater nutritional boost.
“It shows healthier energy sources can still support an athlete’s high performance,” the Daily Express quoted Dr David Nieman, of Appalachian State University in North Carolina, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP