Bananas `better than sports drinks for athletes`
London: Bananas beat sports drinks as energy source for athletes, a new study has revealed.
The fruit, which is rich in potassium and nutrients, has always been a favourite for endurance runners and cyclists.
Now scientists have confirmed that as well as maintaining the same levels of energy as carbohydrate drinks, bananas also possess healthier sugars.
The study revealed that bananas contained antioxidants not found in sugary sports drinks apart from having a greater nutritional boost.
“It shows healthier energy sources can still support an athlete’s high performance,” the Daily Express quoted Dr David Nieman, of Appalachian State University in North Carolina, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"