Bee pollen creating buzz as new `superfood`
London: Bee pollen, which may not be quite as tasty as honey, is being touted as the latest superfood.
Bee pollen is collected and processed from plants as the insects carry out their vital task of pollinating plants and flowers.
It can be used in supplements or sprinkled over salads and its champions claim it has a number of health benefits.
Bee pollen contains antioxidants, which prevent the body’s cells from being damaged by harmful free radicals, excessive amounts of which can lead to diseases including cancer.
Independent dietician Dr Sarah Schenker agreed that bee pollen could have certain beneficial effects.
However, she warned that very little research had been done on the subject. She said further tests would hopefully give scientists and nutritionists a greater understanding of how bee pollen affects humans.
“From a scientific point of view, it contains plant chemicals which can show advantageous effects in humans, though whether it has a miraculous effect is another matter,” the Daily mail quoted Schenker as saying.
“Bee pollen is likely to contain bioactive substances and antioxidants.
“Most of those chemicals act as antioxidants and prevent damage to cell DNA.’
“If that effect was to be found in humans too, that would always be a good thing.
“That’s the number one reason for eating plant-based foods,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir