Beer compound good for obese diabetics
New Delhi: A class of compounds found in hops, the crop usually known for its role in beer production, reduces weight gain in obese and diabetic mice, according to a study.
The study, led by Patrice Cani of the Universite catholique de Louvain in Brussels, Belgium, showed that eight weeks of treatment with the compounds, called tetrahydro iso-alpha acids, also reduced gut permeability and normalized insulin sensitivity markers in the mice, among other beneficial metabolic effects.
Hops have been known to contain anti-inflammatory compounds with potential medicinal uses for metabolic disorders, like insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, which are associated with low-grade inflammation.
These new results suggest a novel mechanism contributing to the positive effects of the investigated treatment, the authors wrote.
The study has been published in the open access journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India-born Sanjeev Gupta's Liberty House to bid for Tata Steel UK on Tuesday
- Deepika Padukone NOT in Salman Khan film?
- MUST WATCH: BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu's amazing speech on religion in Muslim conference
- SRH vs RCB, IPL 2016: Why David Warner was unhappy with Tabraiz Shamsi’s 'Bus Driver' celebration!
- This Indian business tycoon and wife under high-risk security category!