Beer compound good for obese diabetics
New Delhi: A class of compounds found in hops, the crop usually known for its role in beer production, reduces weight gain in obese and diabetic mice, according to a study.
The study, led by Patrice Cani of the Universite catholique de Louvain in Brussels, Belgium, showed that eight weeks of treatment with the compounds, called tetrahydro iso-alpha acids, also reduced gut permeability and normalized insulin sensitivity markers in the mice, among other beneficial metabolic effects.
Hops have been known to contain anti-inflammatory compounds with potential medicinal uses for metabolic disorders, like insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, which are associated with low-grade inflammation.
These new results suggest a novel mechanism contributing to the positive effects of the investigated treatment, the authors wrote.
The study has been published in the open access journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?