Beneficial effects of Bitter Gourd
Zee Media Bureau/ Irengbam Jenny
Bitter gourd is a popular vegetable in some Asian countries and looks like a cucumber but with gourd-like bumps all over it. The bitterness of this gourd might turn some people away from it but it can really sweeten your health because it helps in preventing disease and health promoting phyto-chemical compounds.
Here are few health benefits of the bitter vegetable:
Eye problems: Bitter gourd is one of the finest vegetables which helps in alleviating eye problems and improving eyesight as it is high in beta- carotene.
Respiratory disorders: Drinking fresh bitter gourd juice mix with a cup of honey diluted in water daily helps in improving asthma, bronchitis and pharyngitis.
Energy: Regular consumption of bitter gourd juice improves energy and stamina level. It also stabilized sleeping patterns.
Hangover: Bitter gourd is also beneficial in the treatment of a hangover after a night of binge drinking. It helps to cleanse and repair and nourish liver problems due to alcohol consumption.
Immune booster: Bitter juice of bitter gourd also helps in building your immune system and increase your body’s resistance against infection.
Diabetes: Bitter gourd improves diabetic conditions as it decreases blood sugar levels and also has anti-oxidative properties.
Digestion: Bitter gourd helps in relieving indigestion and constipation problems as it stimulates easy digestion and peristalsis of food through the bowel until it is excreted from the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional