Benefits of New Nordic diet revealed
Wellington: The New Nordic diet, which consists of seasonal berries, cold-climate vegetables, wild meat and fat-rich fish has been hailed by both foodies and health experts.
According to Sydney-based dietitian Geraldine Georgeou, the easiest way to reap benefits of the Nordic diet is by replacing wheat with rye as it is packed with slow-digesting fibre and prevents sharp rises in blood sugar that create food cravings, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Switching to rapeseed oil, which is an integral part of the diet, is beneficial as it is low in saturated fat and rich in omega-3 fats.
The Nordic diet includes oily fish like herring, mackerel and salmon as it helps in weight loss and is also recommended by the National Heart Foundation.
Georgeou added that blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and bilberries, which are a part of the Nordic food, are packed with vitamins and antioxidants and are known to help with anti-ageing and should be consumed frequently.
The diet also features venison, elk and reindeer rather than beef as game meat is great for iron and provides long-lasting energy.
The Nordic diet has vegetables such as kale, cabbage and Brussels sprouts which have great disease-fighting antioxidants and are packed with B-group vitamins.
According to a five-year research project on the New Nordic Diet, those following it lost significantly more weight on an average than those eating the average Danish diet .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?