Benefits of New Nordic diet revealed
Wellington: The New Nordic diet, which consists of seasonal berries, cold-climate vegetables, wild meat and fat-rich fish has been hailed by both foodies and health experts.
According to Sydney-based dietitian Geraldine Georgeou, the easiest way to reap benefits of the Nordic diet is by replacing wheat with rye as it is packed with slow-digesting fibre and prevents sharp rises in blood sugar that create food cravings, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Switching to rapeseed oil, which is an integral part of the diet, is beneficial as it is low in saturated fat and rich in omega-3 fats.
The Nordic diet includes oily fish like herring, mackerel and salmon as it helps in weight loss and is also recommended by the National Heart Foundation.
Georgeou added that blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and bilberries, which are a part of the Nordic food, are packed with vitamins and antioxidants and are known to help with anti-ageing and should be consumed frequently.
The diet also features venison, elk and reindeer rather than beef as game meat is great for iron and provides long-lasting energy.
The Nordic diet has vegetables such as kale, cabbage and Brussels sprouts which have great disease-fighting antioxidants and are packed with B-group vitamins.
According to a five-year research project on the New Nordic Diet, those following it lost significantly more weight on an average than those eating the average Danish diet .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here
- Lenovo K4 Note gets a price cut; available at Rs 10,999
- RSS trying to ''appease'' Muslims: Shiv Sena
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Minnows Iceland dump mighty England out of Euro 2016