Benefits of New Nordic diet revealed
Wellington: The New Nordic diet, which consists of seasonal berries, cold-climate vegetables, wild meat and fat-rich fish has been hailed by both foodies and health experts.
According to Sydney-based dietitian Geraldine Georgeou, the easiest way to reap benefits of the Nordic diet is by replacing wheat with rye as it is packed with slow-digesting fibre and prevents sharp rises in blood sugar that create food cravings, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Switching to rapeseed oil, which is an integral part of the diet, is beneficial as it is low in saturated fat and rich in omega-3 fats.
The Nordic diet includes oily fish like herring, mackerel and salmon as it helps in weight loss and is also recommended by the National Heart Foundation.
Georgeou added that blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and bilberries, which are a part of the Nordic food, are packed with vitamins and antioxidants and are known to help with anti-ageing and should be consumed frequently.
The diet also features venison, elk and reindeer rather than beef as game meat is great for iron and provides long-lasting energy.
The Nordic diet has vegetables such as kale, cabbage and Brussels sprouts which have great disease-fighting antioxidants and are packed with B-group vitamins.
According to a five-year research project on the New Nordic Diet, those following it lost significantly more weight on an average than those eating the average Danish diet .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened