British drink too much, ignorant: Survey
London: Britons are largely viewed as heavy drinkers and ignorant of other cultures, according to a survey by the British Council.
The survey that included over 5,000 people aged between 18 and 34 from Brazil, China, Germany, India and the US ranked Britain as the joint second most attractive country along with Australia, just after the US.
"When respondents have direct experience of the UK, some common stereotypes about British people, such as bad eating and drinking habits, seem to be confirmed (as percentage increases of ten and eight respectively suggest)," a report on the British Council website read.
Other commonly cited negative traits included "too nationalistic" and "intolerant towards people from other countries".
While 27 percent of the respondents thought the British drink too much alcohol, 23 percent thought that British citizens had bad eating habits.
A total 22 percent of the participants thought that the British were too nationalistic.
Culture and history are seen as Britian's best qualities, with its best-known cultural icons cited as Shakespeare, the Queen, and David Beckham.
Asked to name British people's best qualities, 46 percent mentioned politeness and good manners, while others ticked "educated and skilled", "friendly" and "respect the rule of law", The Independent reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das