Canola oil lowers heart disease risk in patients with Type 2 diabetes
Washington: A new research from St. Michael's Hospital suggests that Canola should be one of the oils of choice for people with Type 2 diabetes.
Dr. David Jenkins, head of the hospital's Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre, compared people with Type 2 diabetes who ate either a low glycemic index diet that included bread made with canola oil, or a whole wheat diet known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease .
His study found that those on the canola bread diet experienced both a reduction in blood glucose levels and a significant reduction in LDL, or "bad," cholesterol.
Even more exciting, he said, was the finding that the canola bread diet seemed to have the most significant impact on people who needed help the most - those whose HbA1c test measuring blood glucose over the previous two or three months was highest.
Dr. Jenkins, who is a professor of both nutritional sciences and medicine at the University of Toronto, said the reduction in LDL cholesterol observed in his study of 141 people could translate into a 7 percent reduction in cardiovascular events.
He said the benefit could also be translated into an additional 20mg dose of one of the cholesterol-reducing drugs known as statins-a doubling of a standard dose.
The word canola is a contraction of Canada and ola, meaning oil. It was developed from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba in the 1970s. Canola oil contains only 7 percent saturated fat, less than half that of olive oil, widely touted for its health benefits.
The study is published in the journal Diabetes Care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!