Carrots good for eyesight `not a myth`
London: Carrots, which are packed with vitamin A, have many health benefits, researchers say.
The story that carrots are good for eyesight was put about as propaganda to keep secret the role of radar in shooting down German bombers.
“We do not need extra vitamin A because we already get enough of it in our diet in developed countries,” the Daily Express quoted Dr Dolores Conroy, director of research at charity Fight For Sight, as saying.
“It does not matter how many carrots you eat, your eyesight is not going to get better.
“But it is a real problem in developing countries. About half a million children go blind every year because of vitamin A deficiency. If you do not have enough vitamin A the receptors in the eye which catch light in low light will not work properly and a vitamin A deficiency leads first of all to night blindness,” she said.
Conroy also commented on the wartime eyesight.
“It is one of those myths like eating an apple a day keeping the doctor away and spinach giving you muscles like Popeye,” she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed