Common Dietary Myths in India
Ankita Chakrabarty/ Zee Research Group/ Delhi
The globalization and the fast paced life has forced people to consume food that are instantly prepared and are tasty. The food is quickly prepared and enhances one’s taste buds but this has resulted in obesity and various chronic diseases affecting the vital organs of human body. Nutritionists and dieticians all over are suggesting for a diet which should contain lots and lots of fruits, vegetables and cereals including jowar, bajra and soya products.
Inorder to overcome with this problem, people have started following strict dietary plans , however there are certain dietary myths which have worsened the situation further and there are contradictions associated with the concept of so called ‘healthy food’.
Zee Research Group busts out some common dietary myths by top dieticians of India.
Myth 1: Milk is a complete food
• People think that milk is a complete food, but actually it is not so, milk has calcium and some amount of protein and carbohydrate. If somebody is relying only on milk, then the person will definitely suffer from deficiencies. (Dr. Shikha Sharma, medical doctor and wellness expert)
• Milk lacks iron and Vitamin –C. (Daljit Kaur, senior dietician at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
Myth2: People think that almonds have cholesterol
• There is no reality to this fact. Any plant product will not have cholesterol. All animal products like paneer, ghee, eggs, meat, and chicken have cholesterol. (Dr. Shikha Sharma, medical doctor and wellness expert)
• It doesn’t have any cholesterol, as it contains Omega 3 fatty acid and it is actually very good for heart. (Daljit Kaur, senior dietician, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
Myth3: Curd should not be taken at night or if a person is suffering from cold
• This is absolutely not genuine as curd can be taken at any time if taken at room temperature. (Daljit Kaur, senior dietician, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
• Curd is a predigested food and it is better to have curd if suffering from cold as it would be better utilized by the body and it would it be digested easily. (Sunita Roy Chowdhury, senior dietician ,Rockland Hospital, Delhi)
Myth 4: Consumption of water only leads to the dilution of urine
• One should drink lots and lots of water as it not only dilutes the urine but it also removes toxins from the body. It is extremely necessary for the normal functioning of the body as each and every cell in the body needs water. (Sunita Roy Chowdhury, senior dietician ,Rockland Hospital, Delhi)
• Overdrinking of any drink is bad. But of course, Indians should drink more and more water as Indians perspire a lot because of the climatic conditions. (Daljit Kaur, senior dietician ,Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
Myth 5: Eating rice at night makes you gain weight
• It is partially right. If one happens to eat white rice at night it leads to retention of water in the body which leads to swelling of the body and also those who are sensitive to carbohydrates if they consume rice at night it might lead to weight gain but it would happen gradually. ( Dr. Shikha Sharma, medical doctor and wellness expert)
• It is extremely necessary for one to note how to burn one’s calorie. It is advisable to consume fewer calories at night, but one can remove the starch and can consume rice. (Sunita Roy Chowdhury, senior dietician ,Rockland Hospital, Delhi)
Myth6: Bananas should be totally avoided
• It is true that bananas have calories but it also has lots of potassium which is good for health. It should be eaten in a balanced way. (Sunita Roy Chowdhury, senior dietician ,Rockland Hospital, Delhi)
• Bananas contain sugar, if anybody’s body is sugar sensitive, that person will gain weight. ( Dr. Shikha Sharma, medical doctor and wellness expert)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack