Cup of tea with cucumber sandwich `best way to keep cool`
London: Having a cup of tea with a cucumber sandwich is the ideal way to cool off in a heat wave, say scientists.
According to the researchers, however tempting ice creams may be, they will not work to beat the heat.
Even water should be drunk at room temperature rather than ice cold during the hottest days of the year, a newspaper reported.
While the British colonial favourite of cucumber sandwiches works best during summer, the crust free, white bread versions served in posh hotels and tea rooms, do not seem to work best.
Instead, having them on whole wheat bread with a slab of mayonnaise and sea salt on top works best, said food industry experts at the American Chemical Society (ACS) annual meeting.
Fruit and vegetables with high water content are particularly good for hot weather, which includes cucumber but also watermelon and celery.
Foods with grain are good for the body because they keep the body topped up with magnesium and calcium, preventing cramps in the heat.
The key, said ACS researcher Sara Risch, is to lower the body`s in built thermostat to withstand the heat, avoid dehydration and retain vital minerals and vitamins.
"Though the temptation is great, it is probably best to avoid anything that is too cold from ice cream to icy drinks, including lager but even iced water," said Risch.
This is because it cools down the part of the body it comes into contact with but this sends other parts of the body into shock so they close down and the body stops cooling down.
Hot drinks work though there is some debate over the effects of caffeine. However the tannins in tea, and in wine too are a good cooling agent for the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you