Daily soft drinks could affect cardiac health
Sydney: Children who consume soft drinks daily had narrow arteries at the back of their eyes, which could increase their chances of heart disease and high blood pressure in later life, says a study.
By examining the back of the eyes researchers could see the health of a person`s entire blood vessel system.
Researchers from Westmead Millennium Institute for Medical Research, the University of Sydney, found that these children consuming one of more soft drinks daily, had narrower arteries in the back of their eyes.
The study looked at around 2,000 12-year-old children in 21 high schools in Sydney, and is an extension of a study that last year found similar damage to children who watch too much TV. The damage does not affect their vision, said a university statement.
"Children with a high consumption of soft drinks and carbohydrates had a more adverse microvascular profile compared to those who did not drink so many soft drinks or eat so many carbs," said Bamini Gopinath, senior research fellow at the Centre for Vision Research at the Millennium Institute, who led the study.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know