Dark chocolate and red wine ‘the real food of love’
Washington: Dark chocolate and red wine have “positive components that are good for your heart”, a new study has claimed.
According to Susan Ofria from Gottlieb Memorial Hospital, red wine and dark chocolate with a cocoa content of 70 percent or higher contain resveratrol, which has been found to lower blood sugar. Red wine is also a source of catechins, which could help improve “good” HDL cholesterol.
“You are not even choosing between the lesser of two evils, red wine and dark chocolate have positive components that are actually good for
your heart,” Newswise quoted Ofria, a registered dietitian at the Loyola University Health System’s Melrose Park campus as saying.
Ofria, who is also a nutrition educator, has also recommended a list of heart-healthy ingredients for February, which is national heart month, and for good heart health all year.
Along with red wine and dark chocolate, the list of heath-healthy food comprises of salmon or tuna, especially white, or albacore, tuna and salmon, as they “are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, and canned salmon contains soft bones that give an added boost of calcium intake.”
Next comes golden or brown flaxseeds, followed by oatmeal and black or kidney beans. Walnuts and almonds, which “contain omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E,
magnesium, fiber and heart-favorable mono- and polyunsaturated fats”, come next in the list.
Blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and strawberries, which “are a good source of beta carotene and lutein, anthocyanin, ellagic acid, vitamin C, folate, potassium and fiber,” round off the top eight heart-healthy foods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark